Enjoy the Holidays without the Guilt! December 16 2015, 0 Comments
We’ve all heard that Americans gain weight over the holidays. Some reports say it’s about 5 pounds, others say it’s 7-10. That’s a lot of weight! And with so many parties and gatherings with big meals, it’s easy to feel stuffed many days of the holiday season. I’m here to share some good news that might have you feeling a little better about yourself come New Year’s Eve, when we all make that resolution to lose weight: scientific research has shown that people really only gain about one pound during the time from Thanksgiving to Christmas.
While we can all breathe a sigh of relief that we aren’t necessarily packing on the pounds during the holiday season, it is important to keep those healthy eating habits going, something that’s hard to do when party trays full of rich food and overflowing buffets abound. Here are a few tips to help you resist over-indulging through the holidays.
- Eat a regular meal before going to a party. That way you’ll be more apt to eat healthier foods, and you also won’t be starving and inclined to fill up on rich party foods.
- Choose water or sparkling water with some fruit juice over alcoholic beverages or sodas, which are packed with calories and sugar. Instead, save those extra calories for something you’re craving, like a gingerbread man.
- Chew gum. Once you’ve been through the food line once, pop a piece of gum in your mouth to help keep you from grazing or going back for seconds.
- Resist pressure from others to eat. We’ve all been in situations where Grandma’s fudge is being passed around or Aunt Lucy’s fruitcake, and even though you don’t really like either one, you feel obligated to take a piece and eat it because they worked so hard. One way to get around that is to go ahead and take it, tell them thank you, and wrap it up for later. You might never eat it, but they’ll never know.
- Indulge a little. Now that you know you won’t necessarily gain 10 pounds between now and New Year’s, you can feel a little better about eating that pumpkin pie or slipping those sugar cookies into your lunch. After all, there are some foods that we really only eat this time of year, and depriving ourselves of them takes a little of the fun out of the season.
I know I’m going to be eating a lot of great food over the holidays. I can’t wait for my brother’s ribs and my sister’s chocolate pie. Great news - our Go Free Lindsay Cords and Margaret Velveteens are my favorite styles this time of year as they both have that wonderfully forgiving “give” to the fabric so the waist band doesn’t get too uncomfortable after enjoying that great food! But as with all things, moderation is key. And eating well and staying healthy are the best ways to help you feel sexy, inside and out!
In the meantime, don't forget to check out the latest issue of BellaMia magazine for some great inspiration and tips for a healthy mind, body and spirit.
Happy Holidays from all of us at Go Free Pants to all of you! Cheers and best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year in 2016!