A Peek at Spring Fashion February 10 2016, 0 Comments
A few days ago, Punxsutawney Phil came out of his little burrow, and amid a lot of media flurry, predicted an early spring. Admittedly, I don’t put much weight on the weather forecast of a groundhog, but it sure is nice to think of an early spring. And really, won’t that warm weather be here before we know it?
Be sure to be ready for it by getting your wardrobe up to date. A few additions will make your style seem fresh for the new season. Here are some of our favorites from the runways for the Spring 2016 season.
Cropped, flared jeans. One of the biggest trends, according to Glamour magazine.This updated version of cropped pants has a lot of style going for it. They can be dressed up or down, and look great with heels or flats. Even better, you can find them at a reasonable price!
Low-slung, wide leg pants. I can’t help but think of Katherine Hepburn when I see this wonderful style. Of course, her waistband sat a little higher than the one on most pants you’ll find this season, but the elegant, tailored look is still the same.
Lacy, feminine dresses. Spring always seems like a time for femininity to make itself known in the fashion world. I think the flowers and the warm weather have something to do with that. This spring season, you’ll see it manifest itself in lacy patterns and dresses that show a little skin, but with a lot of taste. The one pictured here is from Ann Taylor.
Ruffles. Along the lines of the lacy look, but this one is much bolder, with a Latin flare. Live it up and add a ruffled blouse to your work wardrobe this spring.
Bare shoulders. Whether it’s off one shoulder or both, this spring’s look will have a lot of bare shoulders in dresses and blouses. Make sure you’ve got your self-tanner ready!
And our #1 favorite is the Go Free Melanie Capri made of a light weight tropical blend that feels like you are wearing nothing at all! Total comfort and a fabulous fit in black which goes with everything! This will be your go to pant all spring and summer – guaranteed!
Enjoy these last weeks of cold weather knowing that spring will be here soon!
It’s Time to Break the Rules! September 09 2015, 0 Comments
When I was a little girl, I loved the white sandals I got to wear each Sunday with my frilly church dresses in the summer. I loved them so much that I wanted to wear them all year long. But my mom always put them away after Labor Day. I would beg to get them out and wear them still, but she told me I couldn’t, “Tina, you can’t wear white after Labor Day.”
That fashion rule was ingrained in us from an early age. But why is it even a rule? In some parts of the country, it’s still warm and sunny well after Labor Day. This Time video investigates the history of this famous fashion rule, saying it might have come about because at the turn of the 20th century, fashion was dictated mostly by the fashion magazines of the Northeast, where the rainy autumn season made it impractical to wear white. It could also be partly because white clothes are associated with the vacations and resort-wear of summer months, something you put away when you go back to work and school in the fall.
Whatever the reasons, the fashion trend somehow became a fashion rule. But as we all know, rules are made to be broken, especially when it comes to fashion! There’s no reason why you can’t wear your favorite white skirt after Labor Day, or slide on those white sandals once in a while. But I am offering a few tips to make it work, so you don’t look like July in the middle of September!
- Wear white in a seasonally appropriate way. White jeans with a long sweater, or a white jacket with your favorite pants can help take the color from summer into fall.
- Be bold. If you’re going to break the rules, do it in a big way. Highlight your white with a splash of red lipstick or a bright scarf so the world knows you know you’re breaking that old tired rule, and you just don’t care!
- Think about the material. White lace might be pretty in the summer, but it will look a little like the Bride of Frankenstein in the fall. Look for white in denim, cashmere, thick cotton or even wool.
- Tone it down with “winter white.” This has long been a way women break the “no white after Labor Day” rule. Rich-looking cream colors are refreshing in the winter months. We love the look in our Go Free Pants with our Kathryn 5-pocket jean in stone. Pair this versatile jean with any bright cotton sweater for a fabulous fall look!
It's easy to get a great new look for fall. The Kathryn 5-pocket jean in stone as well as all our corduroys, velveteen and business casuals, are on sale at 50% off. Welcome to our Fall Fashion Sale!
Love your freedom to wear white after Labor Day, and love your freedom to Go Free!
BellaMia Magazine – Feeling Beautiful At Any Age or Shape June 02 2015, 0 Comments
A couple of months ago I introduced you to a new magazine that I absolutely love, BellaMia Magazine. Now the latest issue is out for June/July. It is available online for everyone to read, and I want to encourage you to click the link and check this magazine out. Not only is it beautifully designed with wonderful photographs, but you won’t be able to stop reading once you start.
I love BellaMia Magazine so much because the founders of this magazine have the same philosophies that I try to communicate through my own company, Go Free Pants. We’re all about helping women feel sexy in their own skin, confident in their everyday lives, grounded spiritually and healthy. The June/July issue of BellaMia is packed with great information that will inspire you in all aspects of your life. From “Four Quick Ways to Bring Your Body Back in Balance,” to “Seven Seconds to Make a First Impression,” you’ll find information to integrate into your own life. There are also great-tasting, healthy recipes, summer hats to die for, and even a fiction piece that will make you think about what it means to be a woman and our role in the world.
I am excited to be a part of this magazine as a contributing writer. Check out my article, “So Long Thongs,” for some great fashion tips for summer. As always, one of those tips is to take a walk on the wild side and Go Free – that is “go commando” –if you have never tried it before!
It is actually good for you to ditch the underwear because it not only helps you feel sexy all day long, it is a healthier choice for women to go without underwear. Summer is the perfect time to try out Go Free Pants if you haven’t yet. We have never bought into the crazy notion that thongs were comfortable, and now according to the New York Times, thongs are out and granny pants are back in! Our bet is going commando will be the next thing that women finally embrace once they allow themselves that secret privilege.
Check out our shop to find what’s right for your wardrobe. And remember, shipping is always free, and a portion of the proceeds go to support organizations like hospice and cancer research.
Give Mom What She Really Wants for Mother's Day -- You! May 05 2015, 0 Comments
Mother’s Day is fast approaching, and none of us should forget our mothers this year, or those who are like a mother to you! Between the jewelry commercials, the ads for dresses, shoes and pocketbooks that mom might want, and the special brunch menus at all of your favorite restaurants, Mother’s Day can be stressful worrying about what to get your mother, the woman who really doesn’t need a single thing. Luckily for us all this year, Ebates.com has made Mother’s Day gift-giving easier. They did a poll to find out what mothers really want, and the top answer was pretty simple -- time! Yes, 60% of the women polled said time with their family was what they really wanted. So I’ve come up with some fun ways to spend a little time with your mother this Sunday. It’s a gift you’ll both enjoy!
- Get manicures and pedicures together. Sure, paying for her mani/pedi is much like giving her a gift (especially if you were going to give her a gift certificate for a mani/pedi anyway). But this way you get to enjoy the experience together and have a little uninterrupted time to talk. And you both walk away with great looking nails!
- Take her shopping. When was the last time you and your mom spent a day at the mall together? Pay her back for all those times she took you to the mall when you were a teenager, only this time you’ll actually enjoy the shopping experience together, even if you don’t buy a single thing.
- Take a class together. There are so many fun wine and art classes or cooking classes to take advantage of these days, why not do one with your mom? Of course, it might not be happening on Mother’s Day, but the promise of time together is pretty special, and gives you both something to look forward to.
- Facetime. If you don’t live near your mother to do an activity together on Mother’s Day, do something a little more than the traditional phone call. Talking face to face, whether with Facetime or Skype, can be almost as good as being there. If your mom has never done it before, she will surely want to do it again after she experiences it the first time!
No matter what you do for Mother’s Day, the important thing is to let your mom know how much you love her. None of us would be where we are today without our mothers, or the women in our lives who are like a mother by the way they love and support us.
And if you feel the undeniable need to buy her a present, our light and breezy Go Free Melanie Black Capri will have her feeling like a Sexy Mama all summer long!